86% would make again
Cherry Pie-Filled Cheesecake
featured in Ultimate Cheesecake Marathon
Sometimes, you just can’t choose between two desserts. And after all, why should you have to? That’s why this cherry pie-filled cheesecake is a total gem. On the outside, it’s a rich and decadent cheesecake, but take a bite and you’ll discover it’s filled with sweet, jammy cherry pie filling. It’s a can’t-beat recipe for your summer barbecue or pot-luck dinner.
June 10, 2019
for 8 servings
Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (30 g)
- ⅓ cup water (80 mL)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 40 oz canned cherry (1.1 kg), drained
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 25 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 40 oz cream cheese (1.1 kg)
- 2 cups sugar (400 g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
- fresh berry, for decoration
- Calories 1085
- Fat 71g
- Carbs 108g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 93g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch to a large saucepan and whisk until combined. Stir in the water and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, whisking until the sugar has dissolved, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until a thick syrup forms and turns golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cherries and cook for another 2-3 minutes until syrup has thickened. Turn off the heat and stir in the almond extract. Set aside to cool.
- Line an 8-inch (20 cm) springform pan with plastic wrap. Transfer the cherry filling to the pan and spread evenly. Freeze for 2-3 hours, until firm.
- Combine the crushed cookies with the melted butter in a medium bowl until well-combined.
- Transfer the cookie crumb mixture to a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan. Use a spatula or measuring cup to press the cookie crumbs down to form an even base. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract together with an electric hand mixer until combined.
- Add the heavy cream and beat for another 2-3 minutes until combined and fluffy.
- Spread half the cheesecake mixture over the chilled cookie crust. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Unwrap the cherry pie filling, and place it on top of the set cheesecake layer. Cover with the remaining cheesecake batter, spreading until smooth on top.
- Decorate with fresh berries.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before slicing and serving.