93% would make again
Chinese-style Glazed Pork Belly
featured in 6 Homemade Chinese Dinners
This Chinese-style pork belly is sweet, salty, and perfectly tender. Slowly cooking the pork in a flavorful mixture of garlic, ginger, and brown sugar gives it that signature sticky-sweet glaze that pairs perfectly with salty soy sauce. Serve it over rice for the ultimate dinner and forget you ever wanted to order take-out.
for 2 servings
- 20 oz pork belly (500 g), lean
- 4 cups water (960 mL), plus 250 milliliters, divided
- 4 slices of fresh ginger
- 1 spring onion, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons shaoxing rice wine
- cooked rice, for serving
- sliced green onion, for serving
- Cut the pork belly into roughly 1-inch (2 ½ cm) cubes.
- Bring 1 liter of water to a boil in a pot, then add the pork, ginger, onion, and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the water using a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel. Discard the remaining water and vegetables.
- Clean and dry the pot, then return it to high heat and add the olive oil. Return the pork to the pan and cook until browned. The oil may pop and splatter, so be careful.
- Add the brown sugar, then reduce the heat to low. Stir continuously until the sugar has melted, caramelized, and coated the pork evenly.
- Immediately add the soy sauces and rice wine, stirring continuously for 5-6 minutes more, or until the liquid has reduced to a thick glaze.
- Add the remaining 250 milliliters of water. Stir, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes. Make sure the mixture is at a low simmer, not boiling. Stir every 10 minutes or so, adding more water if the pot is getting dry.
- Remove the lid. The sauce should coat the pork in a very thick glaze. If it is too runny, continue to stir, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced.
- Serve immediately over a bowl of rice and sprinkle with sliced green onions.
- Nutrition Calories: 1704 Fat: 162 grams Carbs: 27 grams Fiber: 1 gram Sugars: 9 grams Protein: 30 grams