93% would make again
Creamy Potato Kale Gratin
Inspired by thekitchn.com
for 4 servings
- 2 lb russet potato (910 g), washed and peeled
- 1 bunch kale, washed
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (30 g)
- ¼ cup shredded gruyère cheese (25 g)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk (360 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Calories 402
- Fat 12g
- Carbs 60g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Thinly sliced the potatoes, roughly ¼-inch (5mm) thick.
- Remove stems from kale and cut into ¾ inch-1 inch (2 cm) pieces.
- For the Béchamel sauce, add butter and garlic to a saucepan on medium heat and sauté until aromatic.
- Add flour and mix until mixture browns slightly.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper and simmer on low heat until mixture thickens.
- In a medium-sized oven dish, lay a hefty bed of kale adding olive oil, salt, and pepper and gently mixing.
- Starting from one side layer your potatoes across the kale covering the entire dish.
- Gently press the potatoes and kale mixture down to make more room in the dish.
- Drizzle half of the Béchamel sauce across all of the potatoes.
- Repeat the process and add another layer of kale, olive oil, salt, pepper, and potatoes and cover with remaining sauce.
- Garnish to taste with parmesan, Gruyère, and bread crumbs
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes covered. Remove cover and bake an additional 30 minutes.