Lasagna poppers are a fun and tasty twist on the classic Italian dish. The crispy and golden-brown exterior gives way to a warm and cheesy lasagna center, creating the perfect bite-sized snack. They're easy to make and a hit at any party.
for 12 poppers
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup onion (75 g), chopped
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce (390 g)
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese (225 g)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups flour (190 g)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (100 g)
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups canola oil (720 mL), for frying - depending on size of pot used
- 8 lasagna noodles, depending on amount of each filling
- Calories 796
- Fat 67g
- Carbs 26g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 20g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Coat a 10-inch (25 cm) frying pan with olive oil. Add minced garlic and chopped onion, stirring consistently until lightly browned.
- Add ground beef, and stir to mix with onion and garlic.
- Once beef has begun to brown and water has been released drain water and fat then continue cooking until beef begins to brown and become tender and crispy.
- Add marinara sauce and mix together. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, remove heat.
- Add mozzarella. Stir until mozzarella binds to mixture.
- While mixture cools boil four cups of water in medium pot and add lasagna noodles, lay them in across each other in a star formation so they do not bind together, stir regularly.
- After eight to 10 minutes drain pasta and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Cut noodles down to 3- to 4-inch (8-10cm) slices and place mixture inside and roll.
- Place poppers in freezer for 12 minutes.
- Dip poppers in egg wash, flour, and bread crumbs, then once more in the egg wash and bread crumbs.
- Freeze for additional 12 minutes.
- Heat 3–4 inches (8-10cm) of canola oil at medium heat in a pot for 15 minutes — test by splashing drops of water into oil (it should sizzle).
- Place poppers in oil three or four at a time until they are golden brown on all sides, allow them to cool for 10–12 minutes and serve with marinara sauce as dip.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.