Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Get ready to pucker up with these lemon meringue cupcakes! With a sweet and zesty lemon filling and a fluffy, cloud-like meringue topping, they're like a burst of sunshine on a cloudy day.
for 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup butter (230 g), at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar (300 g)
- 4 eggs
- 2 ½ cups flour (310 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk (120 mL)
- ½ cup lemon juice (120 mL)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- ½ cup lemon juice (120 g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Calories 538
- Fat 29g
- Carbs 56g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 36g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF (170ºC).
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and slowly add the sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the sugar mixture. Add salt and mix until just combined.
- Add the vanilla, milk, and lemon juice, and mix until incorporated.
- Scoop mixture into a lined cupcake tin about ¾ full.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out cleanly from the center of the cupcakes. Let cupcakes cool.
- Prepare the lemon curd by whisking the yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, add the lemon juice and zest. Stir until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Once the curd coats the back of a spoon, add the butter and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Make sure the cling film touches the surface of the curd so that a film doesn’t form on top.
- Prepare the frosting by whisking the egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl over simmering water until it thickens and the sugar dissolves completely. Tempering the eggs will ensure the frosting is food safe without being baked.
- Remove from the heat, add the cream of tartar, and beat about 10 minutes until soft peaks form.
- Using a piping tip or a knife, cut a hole into the top of the cupcakes and press down to make a well for the curd.
- Add lemon curd into the cupcakes and frost them with the meringue.
- Torch the frosting or carefully broil for about 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure that you use foil cupcake liners if broiling!
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.