91% would make again
Sticky Toffee Bundt Cake
featured in 12 Comfort Foods To Suit Every Mood
June 10, 2019
for 6 servings
- 1 ¼ cups hot water (300 mL)
- 4 earl grey teabags
- 2 ¾ cups medjool date (500 g), pitted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup butter (170 g), room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar (170 g)
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar (170 g)
- 3 eggs
- 2 ¾ cups self-raising flour (350 g)
- 1 cup butter (250 g)
- ⅔ cup golden caster sugar (125 g)
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar (125 g)
- ½ cup dark rum (100 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups double cream (300 mL)
- In a small bowl, steep the teabags in the hot water for about 5-10 minutes.
- Let cool and take the teabags out, keeping the water.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a blender, blend the the medjool dates, cinnamon, nutmeg and teabag water to a smooth puree.
- For the cake, in a large bowl add the butter and both sugars, cream together using a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.
- Next, beat in the eggs one by one, using a metal spoon.
- Fold in the flour, followed by the puree.
- Pour into a thoroughly greased bundt cake tin and smooth out the top.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Prepare the caramel sauce by melting the butter and two sugars together in a saucepan over a low-medium heat.
- Stir in the rum and double cream.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a jug and leave to cool.
- Once the cake is ready, flip onto a cooling rack.
- Using a pastry brush, gently brush some of the caramel sauce all over the bundt cake so that it is completely covered. This will help keep the cake nice and moist.
- Pour what’s left of the caramel over the top of the cake.