94% would make again
Upside-Down Apple Cake
featured in Recipes To Bring In Fall
This upside-down apple cake is a showstopper dessert that's sure to impress. The sweet and tart apples paired with a moist, cinnamon cake will have your taste buds dancing in delight.
May 05, 2023
for 10 servings
- ¾ cup butter (170 g), softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar (300 g)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk (120 mL)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (190 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 apples, peeled and cut into ¼-inch (6.3mm) thick slices, recommended: granny smith or pink lady
- 1 cup butter (230 g), melted
- 1 cup brown sugar (220 g)
- Calories 533
- Fat 34g
- Carbs 55g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 39g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9-inch (23cm) cake pan.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Whisk in the eggs, vanilla and milk until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk until combined.
- For the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and stir in the brown sugar. Bring to a boil and continue to stir for 30 seconds, or until vigorously bubbling.
- Pour the sauce into the greased cake pan.
- Arrange the apples on top of the sauce in a circular pattern. Pour cake batter on top of apples and smooth the top of the batter.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the cake is done (the top will spring back when gently poked).
- Cool for 10-15 minutes and loosen the sides of the cake by running a butter knife around the edge.
- Place a plate upside down on top of the pan, then invert the pan, flipping the cake onto the plate.
- Garnish slices with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.