88% would make again
Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake
featured in Caramel Dessert Options!
This sweet treat will have you drooling for more! Tart apples are baked with rich dulce de leche and brown sugar to create an irresistible cake that's perfect for fall.
May 15, 2023
for 5 servings
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (185 g)
- ⅓ cup sugar (65 g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil (80 mL)
- ⅓ cup milk (80 mL)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dulce de leche (225 mL)
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- vanilla ice cream
- Calories 583
- Fat 25g
- Carbs 81g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 50g
- Protein 10g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the dulce de leche and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Immediately pour the dulce de leche mixture into a round baking pan.
- Layer the apples in a circular pattern with each one overlapping the other. Repeat until the entire bottom of the pan is covered.
- Pour the cake batter on top of the apples and spread the batter evenly on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then cool until bottom is slightly warm.
- Place a large round plate on top of the cake pan, then flip quickly. Give the cake pan a few pats to make sure the cake is released, then lift off the pan.
- Slice and serve with ice cream!