Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Pie
This Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie is a classic and delicious dessert that's perfect for Thanksgiving or any fall occasion. The filling is creamy and spiced with cinnamon, clove, and ginger, while the crust is flaky and buttery.
for 8 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g), plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup shortening (170 g), cubed
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar (200 g), plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus a pinch
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 15 oz canned pumpkin puree (425 g)
- 1 cup evaporated milk (240 mL), plus 2 tablespoons
- whipped cream, or ice cream for serving
- Make the pie dough: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut shortening into the flour until the shortening breaks down into pea-sized pieces.
- Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir gentle until the dough starts to come together.
- Dump the dough onto a work surface lined with 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Shape dough into a disc and wrap tightly with the plastic wrap. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F (220˚C)
- Make the filling: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the pumpkin and sugar-spice mix and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in the evaporated milk until incorporated.
- Once the dough has chilled, lightly flour a clean surface. Roll out the dough to a ¼-inch (6 mm)-thick round. Keep the surface and rolling pin floured as needed so the dough doesn’t stick. Transfer the dough to a 9½-inch pie pan (24 cm). Tuck the edges under and crimp. Note: The key to flaky pie crust is to handle it as little and as gently as possible. Handle it only as much as is absolutely necessary to mix, shape, and roll out.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350˚F (180˚C) and bake for another 40 minutes, or until the center jiggles slightly.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack for 2 hours.
- Slice and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.