for 4 servings
- 2 cups flour (250 g)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dry white wine (120 mL)
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese (500 g)
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar (40 g)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 candy canes, or peppermints, crushed
- dark chocolate, for melting
- oil, for frying
- cannoli form, available at most specialty kitchen stores or online
- Calories 701
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 85g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 20g
- Protein 21g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Separate egg white and egg yolk into two small bowls. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder. Add the butter and work into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it reaches a sandy consistency.
- Add the egg yolk, vanilla extract, and white wine. Mix together first with a wooden spoon, then finish by kneading it out on a lightly floured surface with your hands until the dough comes together and becomes smooth. Form into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Form into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to an hour.
- To make the filling: in a medium bowl whisk together the ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and ¾ teaspoon instant espresso powder. Refrigerate until ready to pipe. If the ricotta is especially wet, first remove excess moisture by patting it down with paper towels.
- Remove the chilled dough and divide in half. Roll out to as thin as possible on a lightly floured surface. Using a small bowl, cookie cutter, or jar lid, cut into circles (re-rolling the circles and re-cutting if necessary to reach desired thinness). Wrap dough around a lightly greased cannoli form and seal with egg white.
- Heat oil to 350˚F (175˚C) and carefully lower the cannoli forms into the hot oil. Fry until golden on all sides. Remove from oil and set on paper towel to drain and cool.
- Using a small bowl, cookie cutter, or jar lid, cut into circles (re-rolling the circles and re-cutting if necessary to reach desired thinness).
- Remove the cooled pastry and dip ends in melted chocolate and roll in crushed candy canes. Place on wax paper to set.
- Wrap dough around a lightly greased cannoli form and seal with egg white.
- Before serving, pipe the ricotta mixture into the cannoli. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.