90% would make again
Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes
Inspired by tiphero.com
for 4 servings
- 2 cups flour (250 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 1 ½ cups milk (355 mL)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter (110 g), 1/4 cup (55g) melted, plus additional for frying
- ¼ cup brown sugar (55 g)
- 1 ½ fl oz spiced rum (45 mL), optional
- 20 oz canned pineapple ring with juice (600 mL), 1 can, we got about ½ cup (180 ml) of juice once separated from the fruit
- maraschino cherry
- Calories 659
- Fat 24g
- Carbs 96g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 40g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- To a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Create a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add milk, half of the reserved pineapple juice, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients combine to form a lumpy batter. Set aside while you make the pineapple syrup.
- Add the remaining butter to small sauce pan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add brown sugar, the remaining pineapple juice, and rum (optional).
- Bring ingredients to a boil allowing for the sugar to melt and caramelize. Once mixture is smooth and has the consistency of syrup, remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt a small amount of butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add a slice of pineapple. Cook pineapple ring until lightly caramelized on one side, about 2 minutes, before flipping it.
- Once flipped, fill the core of the pineapple with 1-2 maraschino cherries before pouring about ¼ cup (30 grams) of the pancake batter over.
- Cook until the edges start to set and the top begins to bubble, about 2 minutes, before carefully flipping the pancake--revealing the pineapple underneath. Cook for an additional 90 seconds to 2 minutes until the pancake is cooked through.
- Store cooked pancakes in a 200˚F (90˚C) oven until ready to serve.
- Serve pancakes warm with reserved pineapple syrup.