Slow Cooker Jackfruit Carnitas
featured in 30 Days 30 Slow Cooker Recipes
Experience a fiesta of flavors with these Slow Cooker Jackfruit Carnitas! This vegan twist on a classic Mexican dish will have your taste buds dancing and your slow cooker working its magic.
May 04, 2023
69% would make again
for 6 servings
- 40 oz jackfruit (1.1 g), 2 cans in brine or water, drained
- ½ medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth (120 mL)
- ½ orange, juiced
- ½ lime, juiced
- corn tortilla, for serving
- guacamole, for serving
- black bean, for serving
- corn salsa, for serving
- pico de gallo, for serving
- Calories 263
- Fat 5g
- Carbs 55g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut each piece of jackfruit in half, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder, cumin, bay leaves, vegetable broth, orange juice, and lime juice. Mix to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Uncover the slow cooker and remove the bay leaves. Using 2 forks, shred the jackfruit until it resembles the consistency of pulled pork.
- Transfer the jackfruit to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are slightly crisp.
- Serve shredded jackfruit with tortillas, guacamole, black beans, corn salsa, and pico de gallo. The jackfruit will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.