This vegan brie recipe is a game-changer, packed with cashews, agar-agar, and nutritional yeast for that cheesy flavor. Served with crackers and grapes, it's perfect for your next party or cozy night in.
for 3 servings
- 1 cup raw cashews (130 g)
- ½ cup plain, unsweetened, non-dairy yogurt (120 g)
- ½ cup refined coconut oil (120 mL), melted
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar flakes
- Calories 546
- Fat 50g
- Carbs 16g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Bring a medium saucepan filled with water to a boil. Add the cashews and boil for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Add the boiled cashews, yogurt, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, salt, and water to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the “brie” mixture to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let sit at room temperature, or between 72º-90ºF (22˚-32˚C), for 12-16 hours.
- Transfer the mixture to a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add tapioca flour and agar agar flakes. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 5 minutes.
- Line an 8-inch (20-cm) round baking dish with cheesecloth and pour in the hot cheese mixture. Cover with the cheesecloth. Let cool in the refrigerator until firm, 4-8 hours.
- Remove the cheesecloth. Eat right away or place the cheese on a wire rack and refrigerate for up to 36 hours (cheese will become drier the longer it waits).
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.