featured in Vegan Cheeses
This vegan mozzarella is a game-changer for plant-based eaters, with a stretchy, melty texture and a deliciously cheesy flavor that's perfect for pizzas and sandwiches.
May 04, 2023
70% would make again
for 8 servings
- 1 cup raw cashews (130 g)
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy yogurt starter
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum powder
- 4 cups water (960 mL)
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons agar-agar flakes
- 1 cup tapioca starch (125 g)
- 1 ½ cups refined coconut oil (300 g)
- Calories 369
- Fat 31g
- Carbs 20g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Bring a medium saucepan filled with water to a boil. Add the cashews and boil for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Add the boiled cashews, non-dairy yogurt starter, xanthan gum, and water to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the “cheese” mixture to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let sit at room temperature, or between 72º-90ºF (22˚-32˚C), for 12-16 hours.
- Return the mixture to the blender. Add the salt, apple cider vinegar, agar agar flakes, tapioca starch, and coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
- Fill a large bowl with water and salt generously. Stir to dissolve the salt, then add ice. Set aside.
- Transfer the “cheese” mixture to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until the mixture begins to pull together, 3-5 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop golf ball to baseball-size pieces of the mixture into the ice water. Allow the “mozzarella” balls to sit for 30 minutes, until they have firmed up and become stretchy.
- Store in salt water in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here