If you like creamy mashed potatoes, this cauliflower purée is for you! Made with just 5 ingredients (that happen to be vegan), it’s silky smooth and full of savory flavor from nutritional yeast and garlic powder (add an optional pinch of nutmeg for a hint of the holidays). Super quick to whip up, the purée is a standout side for holiday gatherings and weeknight dinners alike!
for 8 servings
- 2 medium heads of cauliflower
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (240 mL), or vegetable broth
- ½ cup nutritional yeast (65 g)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- nutmeg, optional
- Calories 157
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 16g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 5g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler halfway with water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Add the cauliflower to the steamer basket. Place over the boiling water, cover, and steam until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a blender. Add the coconut milk and blend until smooth. Add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and nutmeg, if using, and blend until incorporated (alternatively, transfer the cauliflower to a medium pot with the remaining ingredients and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth). Season with more salt to taste.
- Serve immediately, or transfer to a medium pot, cover, and keep warm until ready to serve, re-warming over medium-low heat if needed. Garnish with a pinch of nutmeg before serving, if desired.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.