99% would make again
Chunky, Skin-On Mashed Potatoes
featured in Mashed Potatoes Your Way
for 10 servings
- 5 lb red bliss potato (2 ¼ kg), skin on, quartered
- cold water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ cup unsalted butter (115 g), 1 stick, cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream (120 mL)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup sour cream (115 g)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped, for garnish
Nutrition InfoPowered by
- Calories 337
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 45g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 5g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Add the salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes longer. Drain and return to the pot. Set aside.
- In a small pot over medium heat, bring the butter, cream, and garlic to a simmer. Once simmering, remove from the heat.
- Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes. Add the sour cream, then mash with a hand masher until the potatoes are creamy, but still very chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with green onions, if desired.
- Note: Any small waxy potato would work well in this recipe — such as Yukon Golds or new potatoes.