Vegan Chocolate Cake
This chocolate cake is so rich and decadent, you won't even believe it's vegan! Moist and fluffy chocolate cake layers are sandwiched together with a silky chocolate ganache frosting. This cake is perfect for any celebration or just to satisfy a chocolate craving.
for 8 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375 g)
- 2 cups sugar (400 g)
- ½ cup cocoa powder (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup coconut oil (120 g)
- ½ cup maple syrup (165 g)
- 1 ½ cups almond milk (360 mL), or milk substitute
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegan butter (230 g), or vegetable shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar (240 g)
- 1 cup cocoa powder (120 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup almond milk (60 mL), or milk substitute
- Calories 936
- Fat 41g
- Carbs 132g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 79g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder to a large mixing bowl and whisk to thoroughly incorporate, making sure there are no lumps.
- Once, the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed together, create a small well in the middle and add in the coconut oil, maple syrup, and almond milk. Continue to whisk until a thick and lumpy batter forms.
- Grease the inside of two 9-inch (23 cm) cake tins with coconut oil or nonstick baking spray, and add about 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder to dust the inside of the pan.
- Pour half of the batter into each of the cake tins.
- Bake them for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cakes are finished, transfer them or a cooking rack for 5-10 minutes before removing the finished cakes from their tins.
- While the cakes cool prepare the frosting. Add vegan butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and whisk using an electric hand-mixer until a smooth and glossy frosting forms.
- Add almond milk and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Choose which of the cakes will be the bottom of your finished cake and carefully level it off.
- Place a small amount of the icing in the middle of your serving dish and place the cake on top.
- Using about a cup (about 115g) of the icing, generously coat the bottom layer of the cake using a spatula.
- Once the icing is spread out evenly, place the second cake on top and continue to frost the cake using the rest of the icing.
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes before serving.
- Slice and serve.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.