Celery & Mushroom Croquettes
These celery mushroom croquettes are a delicious twist on the classic croquette recipe. Made with celery, mushrooms, and fresh herbs, they're the perfect appetizer or snack for any occasion.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 16 croquettes
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter (20 g)
- ½ white onion, diced
- 5 button mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ⅓ cups celery (300 g)
- 2 cups mashed potato (500 g), seasoned
- 1 cup fresh coriander (50 g)
- 1 cup fresh parsley (50 g)
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour (150 g)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ⅓ cups breadcrumb (150 g)
- 4 ¼ cups oil (1 L), for frying
- fresh coriander, finely chopped
- sea salt
- Calories 672
- Fat 55g
- Carbs 37g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Take a large frying pan and place over a low/medium heat. Add the butter and leave to melt and foam for a minute or so.
- Next add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly cook for around 10 minutes whilst continually stirring. You want the mushrooms to halve in size and the onions to be golden brown. Set aside.
- Take the celery sticks and peel the top ridged side to remove some of the stringy texture. Then cut into a small dice.
- Place the onions and mushrooms back onto the heat and add the diced celery. Stir for around a minute to warm through the celery and coat it with all the meaty flavour of the mushrooms and butter.
- Next add to mushroom and celery mixture to mash potato and mix to combine.
- Once combined take around a tablespoon of mixture and form into a croquette shape.
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in three seperate bowls. To coat the croquettes, coat each croquet in flour, making sure to dust the excess off. Then dip in egg, then breadcrumbs. Place back into the eggs then back into the bread crumbs to give an extra thick and crunchy coating.
- Place a large pot over a medium heat and add the oil. Heat the oil to 180˚C (350˚F).
- Carefully place the croquettes into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. (Cook the croquettes in batches of 5-6 depending on how large your pot. If you cook too many at a time the oil may bubble over)
- Once cooked, drain kitchen towel to remove excess fat.
- Serve with an extra sprinkle of coriander and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.