91% would make again
Classic Pad Thai
featured in Ultimate Pad Thai 2 Ways By Hong Thaimee
for 4 servings
- ½ lb wide rice noodle (225 g)
- ¼ cup palm sugar (50 g)
- ¼ cup fish sauce (60 mL)
- ¼ cup tamarind paste (55 g)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast (170 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon pickled turnip, optional
- 1 egg
- 4 oz tofu (110 g), cubed, optional
- ½ bunch green onion, or chinese chives, sliced, plus more for serving
- ½ cup bean sprout (50 g), plus more for serving
- lime, for serving
- peanut, for serving
- red thai chile, diced, for serving, optional
- Calories 438
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 66g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 23g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Soak rice noodles in room temperature water 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together palm sugar, tamarind paste, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and reduce for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- Heat a cast-iron pan or wok over high heat.
- Add oil and chicken and cook for about two minutes until nearly cooked through and nicely seared on all sides.
- Add minced garlic, shallots, and turnips to the chicken and stir to incorporate.
- Move the chicken to the side of the pan and add the egg. Break the egg up with a spatula or wooden spoon and stir to scramble.
- Add soaked rice noodles and stir to evenly incorporate all ingredients, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of the reduced sauce and stir.
- Add tofu, Chinese chives or green onions, and bean sprouts. Stir to incorporate and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with lime, peanuts, more sprouts and chives, and red chiles, if desired.