90% would make again
Coconut Cream Pie Puffs
featured in 5 Creative Cream Puff Recipes
for 12 puffs
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups half & half (480 mL)
- 1 cup coconut milk (240 mL)
- ¾ cup sugar (150 g)
- ⅓ cup cornstarch (40 g)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes (100 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter (115 g), cubed
- ½ cup coconut milk (120 mL)
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flour (125 g)
- 4 eggs, plus 1 more for egg wash
- Calories 420
- Fat 29g
- Carbs 30g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C).
- To make the cream filling whisk together egg yolks, half and half, and coconut milk in a medium saucepan over medium/low heat.
- Once combined, add in sugar and corn starch, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a light boil.
- Remove from heat and mix in the shredded coconut and vanilla extract. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least two hours.
- To make the puff, combine the butter, water, coconut milk, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Allow all the butter to melt and bring the mixture to a boil.
- As soon as the mixture begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and add in the flour.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix thoroughly to incorporate the flour. Continue stirring until the dough starts to pull away from the sides and a thin film forms on the bottom of the pan (about three minutes).
- Remove the mixture from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Let the dough cool slightly.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, being sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next.
- Once the dough comes together, transfer it to a piping bag.
- Pipe onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet into 1½-inch (3 cm) mounds.
- Smooth out any peaks/ridges cause by piping with a wet fingertip (this will ensure your puffs cook evenly and maintain a nice ball shape).
- Then brush the dough with egg wash and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425˚F (220°C). Then, without opening the oven, reduce heat to 350˚ (180˚C) and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove puffs from oven. Using the tip of a knife, cut a small “x” into the bottom of each puff and transfer (“x” side up) to a cooling rack.
- Just before serving (or up to two hours in advance), pipe the cream filling into the cooled puffs. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.