Copycat Pub Sub
@alexawhatsfordinner is bringing the magic of chicken tender subs home with this copycat recipe! Chicken tender “pub subs” are an iconic item from @Publix delis, but many people don’t have a Publix grocery store near them. But fear not! Now you can enjoy this loaded sub anytime at home.
for 4 servings
- 1 lb chicken tenders (425 g)
- 1 pt buttermilk (565 mL)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (185 g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 sub or hoagie rolls, split
- 1 cup thinly sliced romaine lettuce (75 g)
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- dill pickle chip
- instant-read thermometer
- Calories 567
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 61g
- Fiber 28g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 46g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Place the chicken tenders in a large bowl and pour in the buttermilk, turning to coat. Cover the bowl and marinate the tenders in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl or baking dish, stir together the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne.
- Once the chicken tenders are done marinating, coat evenly with a thick layer of the flour mixture.
- Fill a large cast iron skillet about halfway with vegetable oil. Heat over [level] heat until the temperature reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, lower the chicken tenders into the hot oil and fry for about 3 minutes per side, until deep golden brown and the internal temperature registers 160°F (70°C) on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Once cool enough to handle, cut into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mustard and honey.
- Assemble the subs: On the bottom of each sub roll, layer some lettuce, tomato (seasoned with a pinch of salt), a drizzle of honey mustard, and some chopped chicken tender pieces. Top with pickles, then close each sandwich.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.