94% would make again
featured in Dinners Around The World
Inspired by bbcgoodfood.com
for 2 servings
- 1 cup milk (250 mL)
- ⅔ cup double cream (150 mL)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour (25 g)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- dijon mustard, to spread
- 1 cup gruyère cheese (100 g), grated
- 6 slices ham
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, double cream, onion, garlic and bay leaves and heat over a medium heat until it just starts to boil.
- Take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Pour the milk mixture through a sieve into a jug.
- Then, in a saucepan, gently melt the butter and add the flour. Stir together over a low-medium heat for 1 -2 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk in three parts whilst continually stirring.
- Continue to stir and bring the sauce to a gentle boil.
- Take off the heat and stir in the dijon mustard and ground nutmeg.
- Next, brush the two slices of bread with the melted butter and grill for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Take out of the grill and preheat the heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Flip the slices of bread over and spread one slice with a thin layer of dijon mustard, followed by another layer of the béchamel sauce, followed by the cheese and then the ham.
- Place the other slice of bread on top and coat with more béchamel sauce and cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve with fresh salad!