92% would make again
“Cheesy” Scalloped Potatoes
featured in Dairy-Free Holiday Sides
1 hr 20 min
Inspired by karissasvegankitchen.com
1 hr 20 min
for 6 servings
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 garlics, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (480 mL)
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth (360 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast (20 g)
- ½ medium yellow onion, sliced into rings
- fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Calories 292
- Fat 15g
- Carbs 32g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Thinly slice the potatoes into rounds about ⅛-inch (3 mm) thick. Submerge in a large bowl of water to keep from browning and set aside.
- In a medium pot over low heat, melt the butter. Once the butter begins to foam, add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the flour and stir until flour and butter resemble the consistency of wet sand, creating a roux.
- While stirring continuously, add the non-dairy milk, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in the nutritional yeast and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium baking dish, add 2 layers of the sliced potatoes, followed by a layer of the sliced onions. Pour on half of the cheese sauce and spread with a spatula to coat all of the potatoes and onions. Add another 2 layers of potatoes and pour on the remaining cheese sauce.
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 1 hour. Then, uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes more, until the top is golden and bubbling and the potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.