Danish Butter Cookies
A Christmas classic you’ll love making at home, these crispy butter cookies come in different shapes, and textures including shredded coconut and a pretzel shaped topped with crunchy sparkling sugar.
for 48 cookies
- 1 cup powdered sugar (120 g)
- 1 lb unsalted butter (455 g), room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups all purpose flour (500 g)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (50 g)
- 2 tablespoons sparkling sugar
- Calories 138
- Fat 8g
- Carbs 13g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 6 baking sheets, or as many as you have, with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the powdered sugar and butter with an electric hand mixer on medium-high speed until well combined and fluffy, 2–3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla. Beat until well combined and the batter is mostly smooth.
- Gradually add the salt and flour, beating on low speed between each addition, until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Divide the dough evenly into 3 portions. Each portion of dough should be about 13.5 ounces.
- Add the shredded coconut to 1 portion of dough and mix with your hands to combine. Portion the coconut dough into ½-ounce pieces and roll into balls. Place on 2 of the prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly. Using your fingers, gently press down on the tops of the dough rounds to create a flattened top. Transfer to the refrigerator if not baking immediately.
- Transfer another portion of dough to a piping bag fitted with a large star piping tip. Pipe 2-inch (5 cm) circles of dough directly onto 2 of the prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly. Transfer to the refrigerator if not baking immediately.
- Transfer the remaining portion of dough to a small piping bag fitted with a medium (¼-inch) round piping tip. Pipe 2-inch wide pretzel shapes directly onto the 2 remaining prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly. Sprinkle the pretzels with the sparkling sugar.
- Working in batches, bake the cookies for 12–15 minutes, until just golden brown.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.