80% would make again
Double Chocolate Carrot Cupcakes
featured in Carrot Cupcakes 3 Ways
for 24 cupcakes
- butter spray, for greasing
- 3 carrots, quartered
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (200 g), packed
- large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut oil (240 mL), melted
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder (55 g), sifted
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 ⅓ cups Fisher® Chef’s Naturals Walnut Halves & Pieces (133 g), finely chopped
Super-Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar (440 g), sifted
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened dark cocoa powder (160 g), sifted
- ⅔ cup whole milk (160 g), room temperature
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup Fisher® Chef’s Naturals Walnut Halves & Pieces (55 g)
- Calories 339
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 50g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 35g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners and grease with butter spray.
- Make the base carrot cupcake batter: In a food processor, process the carrots until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, whip the butter with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the granulated and brown sugars, and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture in thirds, beating on medium speed between each addition until fully incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in thirds, beating on low speed between each addition until incorporated.
- Add the coconut oil and beat on medium-low speed for 1 minute, until fluffy.
- Finish making the cupcakes according to your desired variation.
- For the Double Chocolate Carrot Cupcakes: When making the batter, add the cocoa powder and allspice to the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the carrots and finely chopped Fisher Walnuts. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups, filling each about ¾ of the way full. Bake the cupcakes for 18–20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate buttercream frosting: In a large bowl, whip the butter with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add half of the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and milk at a time, beating on low speed between each addition until just incorporated. Add the vanilla and salt, and mix until fully incorporated and the frosting is smooth. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To frost, place the tip of the piping bag at an angle at the edge of each cupcake and squeeze, rotating the cupcake and working toward the center, until covered in frosting. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Garnish each cupcake with a few Fisher Walnuts.