87% would make again
Eggplant Parm Bites
featured in Eggplant Dinners 4 Ways
Bite into these scrumptious Eggplant Parm Bites for a delightful twist on a classic Italian favorite. Perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, these little gems are sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
May 05, 2023
for 11 pieces
- 2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- 8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 15 oz ricotta cheese (425 g), drained
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese (50 g)
- 4 eggs, beaten, divided
- italian bread crumb
- oil, for frying
- marinara sauce, for dipping
- Calories 211
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 11g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Slice the eggplant and lay out on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Generously salt the eggplant on both sides and leave to sit for 30 minutes to soften and draw out excess moisture.
- Blot off the water and excess salt from the eggplant with additional paper towels.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the basil, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and one egg (beaten). Mix together.
- Picking two equal sized eggplant slices, sandwich about a tablespoon of the ricotta mixture between the slices and place on a wax paper lined baking tray.
- Freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In three separate bowls, place the flour, bread crumbs, and the remaining 3 eggs, beaten.
- Remove eggplant from the freezer and coat each first in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Coat once more in egg and a final time in the bread crumbs. Place back in the freezer while you prepare to fry.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil to 350˚F (180˚C). Fry eggplant in batches, 3 at a time, until nicely browned on all sides.
- Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain off any excess oil. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with marinara sauce.