89% would make again
Pizza Onion Rings
featured in Family Game Night Recipes
for 4 servings
- 1 medium onion
- 1 pack sliced pepperoni
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 jar pizza sauce, this can be a basic pasta sauce or passata etc
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (100 g)
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- oil, for deep frying
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (100 g)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Calories 832
- Fat 41g
- Carbs 66g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 51g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut onion into 2 cm (1 inch) slices. Carefully separate the layers into individual rings.
- On a tray lined with baking paper, lay out onion rings and place a slice of pepperoni in the centre, pushing the pepperoni slice down to take the shape of the onion and make a bowl.
- Layer in a tablespoon of pizza sauce, mozzarella, some parmesan, and a sprinkle of oregano.
- Place tray in freezer until solid (about two hours).
- Add flour, beaten eggs, and panko breadcrumbs to three separate bowls. Stir paprika and oregano into the flour
- Remove frozen pizza rings from freezer.
- Roll each first in seasoned flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil to 180˚C (350°F).
- Fry pizza onion rings in batches until nicely browned on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Place on paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil. Sprinkle with more dried oregano.