77% would make again
Meatball-Stuffed Onion Ring Cone
featured in Meatball With A Twist
These meatball-stuffed onion ring cones are the perfect combination of savory and crispy, with a surprise center that will have your taste buds begging for more.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
- 2 large white onions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs (150 g)
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (55 g)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (25 g)
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley (10 g), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- oil, for frying
- marinara sauce, for serving
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- fresh basil, chopped
- Calories 1078
- Fat 40g
- Carbs 112g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 65g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- On a cutting board, peel the onions, and cut into ½-inch (1 ¼-cm) rings. Separate the rings.
- Sort the onion rings into four cones, starting with a big ring and going up to a small one.
- Place the flour, eggs, and panko in 3 separate medium bowls.
- Dip an onion ring into the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip it into the eggs, then the panko, then back into the eggs, and into the panko again.
- Place the onion ring on a greased, parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining onion rings, creating four stacked cones on the tray. Freeze the onions ring cones for 1-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- In a medium bowl, mix the ground beef, onion, garlic, Parmesan, panko, parsley, Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper with your hands until fully combined.
- Take a baseball-size handful of the meat mixture and roll it into a ball. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture, creating four meatballs total.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C).
- Gently lower one frozen onion ring cone into the oil. Fry until golden brown all over, 2-4 minutes.
- Remove the cone with a slotted spoon and transfer to a wire rack set over paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining onion ring cones.
- Add 1 meatball to each onion ring cone. Top with marinara sauce, grated Parmesan cheese, and basil.
- Nutrition Calories: 1920 Fat: 149 grams Carbs: 95 grams Fiber: 4 grams Sugars: 11 grams Protein: 51 grams