Loaded Ham & Cheese Potato Dippers
featured in Cheesy Recipes
These loaded ham and cheese potato dippers are perfect for game day or movie night with friends! They're crispy on the outside and cheesy on the inside with bits of savory ham in every bite.
May 04, 2023
95% would make again
for 20 servings
- 5 lb yukon gold potato (2.2 kg), peeled and cooked
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (200 g)
- 4 oz cream cheese (115 g)
- 16 oz bacon (480 g), cooked and crumbled
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 20 oz ham (550 g), sliced
- 1 lb cheddar cheese (455 g), 1 block, sliced into 20 1-inch (2-cm) squares
- 1 qt canola oil (1 L), for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 g)
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups panko breadcrumbs (200 g)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (25 g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Calories 937
- Fat 67g
- Carbs 50g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 32g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes until there are no lumps.
- Add the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, bacon, scallions, salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Mix until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Smooth out the top.
- Lay a 1-inch (2.5 cm) square of cheddar cheese in the center of a slice of ham. Fold the edges of the ham over the cheese, making a tight parcel. Repeat with the remaining ham and cheese.
- Press a ham-and-cheese square into the potato mixture, making sure to leave 1 inch (2-cm) of space on all sides. Repeat with the rest of the squares.
- Push the potato mixture around to cover up and seal the tops of the ham squares, then smooth out again.
- Freeze for 30 minutes, then slice the mixture into squares so each square has a ham square in the middle.
- Place the flour, eggs, and panko into 3 separate medium bowls.
- Dip a square into the flour, shaking off any excess. Dredge in the egg, then in the panko. Repeat with the remaining squares.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Fry the potato squares two at a time until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes, then drain on paper towels.
- Garnish the potato dippers with shredded Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serve warm.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.