Loaded Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls
featured in 6 Cheesy Recipes for Potato Lovers
These breaded mashed potato balls full of scallions and bacon are stuffed with melty cheddar cheese and deep-fried to until golden. Serve with sour cream!
May 04, 2023
89% would make again
for 7 servings
- 4 cups mashed potato (1 kg), leftover/cold - prepared to your liking
- ½ cup green onion (50 g), sliced
- ¾ cup cooked bacon (170 g), chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- cheddar cheese, block - cut into small cubes
- 1 cup flour (125 g)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (115 g)
- oil, for frying
- salt, to taste
- Calories 807
- Fat 15g
- Carbs 132g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 26g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut cheddar cheese block into small cubes.
- Place cold mashed potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add green onion, chopped bacon, garlic powder, black pepper, and 1 egg - mix well.
- With lightly floured hands - pick up a tablespoon sized ball of potato mixture and flatten into a small pancake. Place a cube of cheddar in the center and wrap the potato mixture around the cheese. Repeat.
- In three separate bowls, add flour, remaining egg (whisked) and breadcrumbs. Coat the potato ball in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Coat once more with egg and once more with bread crumbs. Set aside - store in fridge while you wait to fry.
- In a medium pan heat oil over medium/high heat (to approximately 350˚F (180˚C). Fry the potatoes in batches until browned on all sides.
- Transfer fried potato balls to paper towels to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Transfer to a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for 5 minutes at 400˚F (200˚C).
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here