88% would make again
Mashed Potato Bun Bacon Burger
featured in 6 Mouth-Watering Burger Recipes
A unique burger that swaps out the traditional bun for a crispy mashed potato bun and is topped with bacon and other classic burger toppings.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
Mashed Potato Buns
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 cups cold water (1.5 L)
- ¼ cup butter (55 g), cubed
- ½ cup milk (120 mL)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (100 g)
- 5 eggs
- oil, for frying
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices bacon
- ketchup, to serve
- lettuce, to serve
- red bell pepper, sliced, to serve
- Calories 1082
- Fat 49g
- Carbs 104g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 54g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a pot over high heat, add the potatoes and garlic and cover with cold water.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and return to the pot.
- Add the butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
- Add in the parsley and mix until combined. Transfer the potatoes to a piping bag or ziplock bag.
- On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, place the provolone slices.
- Pipe the mashed potatoes on top of the rounds starting from the outside to the center of the cheese.
- Freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
- Place the egg and panko in two bowls.
- Place the frozen potato round in the egg ensuring it’s completely submerged.
- Place the potato round in the panko and flip to cover completely. If necessary repeat process putting potato back into the egg and once more in the panko.
- In a large pot, heat oil to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the potato in oil and fry until both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Set the mashed potato rounds on a wire rack to drain.
- In a bowl, add the ground beef, season with salt, onion powder, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Form patties with your hand about the size of your palm.
- Lay the bacon two strips overlapping and two strips perpendicular.
- Place the burger patty on the bacon and fold over the bacon strips, trimming if necessary.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the bacon patties and cook until cooked through.
- Assemble the burger by placing one potato “bun” on the bottom. Spread with ketchup or your favorite sauce.
- Build with lettuce, patty, red onion and top potato bun.
- Nutrition Calories: 1850 Fat: 164 grams Carbs: 51 grams Fiber: 2 grams Sugars: 9 grams Protein: 44 grams