84% would make again
featured in 5 Galaxy Dessert Recipes
for 24 servings
- 1 white cake, or cake of your choice
- 5 lb fondant (2 ¼ kg)
- 4 cups buttercream frosting (460 g)
- white rum, or vodka
- 1 tablespoon black food coloring
- piping gel
- rock candy, ranging from white to dark teal/blue, or colors of your preference
- Cover cake in smooth layers of fondant.
- Cut the geode shape out of the side of the cake.
- Spread buttercream frosting all along the inside of the cut.
- Mix alcohol with food coloring until it reaches the desired shade of gray.
- Paint a thin dark line around the edge of the cut.
- Apply a row of piping gel in the center of the cut.
- Press rock candy into the piping gel, starting with the darkest shade.
- Continue laying out rows of piping gel and pressing in the rock candy, applying lighter colors and smaller pieces as you move farther out toward the edge of the cut.