95% would make again
featured in 5 Delicious Savoury Dumplings You Need To Try
Dumplings are intimidating (well, they can be). But they also are, in fact, delicious. No matter what you stuff them with, the concept of pillowy, soft dough encasing a luscious, super flavorful filling is enough to warm you up from inside to out. Well, with our homemade dumpling recipe, we’re bringing that warm, fuzzy feeling right to your very own kitchen table.
January 13, 2021
for 24 dumplings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (500 g)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 ¼ cups warm water (300 mL)
- 2 cups red cabbage (200 g)
- 2 cups green onion (300 g), sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ lb ground pork (225 g)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup mushroom (55 g), diced
- ¾ cup carrot (90 g), diced
- ½ lb shrimp (225 g), peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup soy sauce (60 mL)
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar (60 mL)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- Calories 149
- Fat 3g
- Carbs 21g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 7g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and the warm water and mix until well-combined.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll out 1 piece of dough into a thin log and divide into 6 or 8 pieces, depending on the size of dumplings you want. Repeat with the remaining dough portions.
- Lightly flour the dough pieces and roll out 1 piece into a thin circle roughly 4-inches (10 cm) in diameter.
- Keep the dumpling wrappers separated with a small piece of parchment paper and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Combine the cabbage, green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a medium bowl and mix until well-incorporated.
- For the pork filling, combine the ground pork with the remaining teaspoon of salt, the pepper and 1 cup (125g) of the cabbage mixture and stir until well-incorporated.
- For the veggie filling, combine the mushrooms and carrot and microwave for 3 minutes, until soft. Add 1 cup (125g) of the cabbage mixture and stir until well-incorporated.
- For the shrimp filling, combine the shrimp with 1 cup (125g) of the cabbage mixture and stir until well-incorporated.
- To assemble the dumplings, add roughly 1 heaping tablespoon of filling to the center of a dumpling wrapper. With your finger, lightly coat half of the outside of the wrapper with water. Fold the moistened half of the wrapper over the filling and, using your fingers, pleat the edges to seal. Repeat with the remaining fillings and wrappers.
- Heat the oil over medium high in a large skillet and add a few dumplings, cooking them in batches. Once the bottoms of the dumplings start to brown, add a splash of water and cover with a lid. Steam for about 5 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked and the water has evaporated. Transfer the cooked dumplings to a paper towel-lined plate to remove any excess moisture or grease.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper flakes and stir to combine. Serve the dumplings immediately with the dipping sauce.