97% would make again
featured in 15 Delicious Asian-Inspired Recipes
Get ready to roll with this Homemade Lumpia recipe that's perfect for your next party! These crispy, golden-brown Filipino spring rolls are packed with a savory blend of veggies and ground pork, making them an irresistible appetizer or snack.
May 05, 2023
for 10 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 lb ground pork (455 g)
- 12 oz water chestnuts (340 g), 1 can, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup green onion (35 g), minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced, plus more for garnish
- 1 ½ cups canola oil (355 mL), for frying
- 25 lumpia wrappers, or spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- sweet chili sauce, for serving
- Calories 655
- Fat 38g
- Carbs 56g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 20g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the filling: Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and carrot. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Add the ground pork and cook for about 6 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add the water chestnuts, salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Stir for 2 minutes, then mix in the green onion and cilantro. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- Heat about an inch (2 cm) of canola oil in a deep, medium frying pan until it reaches 300°F (150°C).
- Lay out one lumpia wrapper in a diamond shape and spoon 2 tablespoons of filling at the bottom of the wrapper, leaving about an inch and a half (3 cm) of space from the bottom point.
- Fold the bottom point over the filling, then fold in the edges to create an envelope shape. Roll the wrapper toward the top point. Brush the top point with egg wash and finish the roll to seal the end.
- Carefully place four to five lumpia at a time in the hot oil. Frying on each side for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. Note: If the lumpia are cooking too fast or burning, reduce the heat.
- Remove the lumpia from the oil and drain on a wire rack or paper towels.
- Sprinkle with a garnish of cilantro and serve with sweet chili dipping sauce. Optional: Cut lumpia in half.