Sloppy Joe On A Stick
Sloppy Joes too sloppy for you? Cut out the mess by making these sloppy joes on a stick. They are easy to assemble and the filling can be customized with your favorite additions. Make a large batch to serve at a party, or freeze for up to 1 week and reheat quickly for an after-school snack.
for 18 sloppy joes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¾ cup ketchup (180 mL)
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 4 frozen puff pastries, thawed for 30-40 minutes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- green onion, thinly sliced
- sour cream
- wavy potato chip
- 18 wooden ice pop sticks, 6 in (15 cm)
- Calories 422
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 27g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium pan over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the ground beef and season with the salt, pepper, and mustard powder. Break up the meat with a spatula, then cook without disturbing for 3–5 minutes, until the beef browns. Drain any excess liquid from the pan.
- Add the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until the meat is fully cooked and the sauce is evenly distributed, about 3 minutes more. Remove the mixture from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lay the thawed puff pastry sheets on a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Using a 3-inch (7 cm) heart-shaped cookie cutter, punch out 9 hearts per sheet. You should have 36 total.
- Transfer 18 of the hearts to the prepared baking sheets. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the beef mixture into the center. Brush the edges of each cut-out with the beaten egg, then place an ice pop stick at the bottom of each heart, ensuring that about ⅓ of the stick is wedged into the beef filing and the rest is hanging out from the bottom of the heart.
- Gently lay the remaining 18 cut-outs over each of the filled hearts. With a fork, carefully crimp the edges together all around to seal, ensuring the beef mixture doesn’t seep out onto the edges.
- Once all are sealed, brush egg wash over the tops of each sloppy joe and then sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Garnish the sloppy joe sticks with green onions, then serve with sour cream, potato chips, and pickles.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.