How To Throw A Sushi Party
Get ready to roll with this fun and interactive sushi party! The step-by-step guide makes it easy for everyone to create their own delicious sushi rolls. A great way to impress your guests and have a blast in the kitchen.
for 4 servings
- 2 cups short grain white rice (420 g)
- 2 cups water (470 mL)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup rice vinegar (60 mL)
- ¼ lb sushi-grade tuna (115 g)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- teriyaki sauce, to taste
- 4 sticks imitation crab
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 cucumber
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 avocados
- sushi-grade nori, seaweed
- thinly sliced scallion
- black and white sesame seeds
- soy sauce
- Calories 539
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 81g
- Fiber 17g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 22g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, rinse the rice with water, then drain. Repeat two more times, until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice and water to a medium pot. Cover and bring it to boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let rest, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Combine the sugar, salt, and vinegar in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, until the sugar is completely melted.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl and pour the vinegar over the rice. Using a spatula, fold the vinegar mixture into the rice. Have another person fan the rice while mixing to get it down to room temperature.
- Make the spicy tuna: Slice the tuna, then very finely chop. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the mayonnaise and Sriracha. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the chicken teriyaki: In a medium bowl, coat the chicken with teriyaki sauce. Cook the chicken in a large, nonstick pan over medium-high heat until cooked through, then remove from the pan, slice, and transfer to a clean medium bowl.
- Make the imitation crab: Cut the imitation crab into small pieces, then transfer to a medium bowl. Mix in the mayonnaise until the crab breaks into strings and is fully coat.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and carrot into matchsticks. Slice the avocado.
- When ready to serve, place the rice, spicy tuna, chicken teriyaki, imitation crab, vegetables, nori, soy sauce, and wasabi at the center of the table. Set each place with a bamboo sushi rolling mat and a small bowl of water so the rice does not stick to your hands. Have a cutting board close by with a knife. Let’s roll.
- Place a sheet of nori on top of a rolling mat, rough side up. Wet your hands, then grab a handful of rice and place it on the nori. Spread the rice evenly over the nori, without smushing the rice down, leaving a bit of space at the bottom of the nori sheet. Scoop your filling of choice along the bottom of the rice, then add any vegetables you'd like. Starting from the bottom, roll up the nori and mat tightly to make a sushi roll. Transfer the roll to a cutting board and slice into pieces with a sharp knife, using a lint-free towel to wipe the knife clean between cuts.
- For inside-out rolls, cover the rolling mat with plastic wrap. After spreading the rice on the nori, flip so the smooth side of the nori is face-up. Add your desired fillings, roll tightly, then top with avocado, using the wrapped mat to mold the avocado to the roll. Slice into pieces.
- Here are some of our favorite combinations: Spicy Tuna Roll: spicy tuna and cucumber inside. Veggie Roll: inside-out roll, cucumber, carrot, microgreens, and scallions inside, avocado on top. Chicken Teriyaki Roll: chicken teriyaki and scallions inside. California Roll: inside-out roll, sprinkle rice with black and white sesame seeds, imitation crab, cucumber, and avocado inside.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.