95% would make again
featured in 6 Delicious Stuffed Vegetables
for 4 servings
- 4 bell peppers, various colors
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ lb ground beef (225 g)
- ½ lb sweet italian sausage (225 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 28 oz diced tomato (795 g), 1 can
- 28 oz tomato sauce (795 g), 1 can
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese (425 g)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (110 g)
- ½ cup fresh basil (20 g), chopped
- 1 egg
- 4 lasagna noodles, cooked and quartered
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Calories 1000
- Fat 60g
- Carbs 54g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 27g
- Protein 62g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Cut the top off of each pepper and remove the seeds. Transfer to a square baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, to soften.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot, or dutch oven, over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook until softened.
- Add the ground beef, sausage, salt, and pepper. Cook until the meat has browned on all sides.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring the mixture to a light simmer. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan, basil, and egg. Mix together with a fork, set aside.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, drain any excess water that accumulated inside.
- Cut the lasagna noodles into quarters and set aside.
- Assemble the lasagna in each pepper. Alternate 2 tablespoons of sauce, 1 lasagna noodle, 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture, and 1 lasagna noodle until the peppers are full. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving.