96% would make again
Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joe Cups
featured in Grilled Cheese For Every Day Of The Week
June 10, 2019
for 6 cups
- 1 nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ large white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz tomato sauce (225 g), 1 can
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup (55 g)
- 8 slices white bread
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese (75 g), divided
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Calories 635
- Fat 51g
- Carbs 17g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 25g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the mustard powder, pepper, and salt. Stir to combine, then add the tomato sauce, and cook for 5 minutes until liquid is cooked down.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and cook for 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Slice the crusts off the bread. Quarter 2 of the slices to make small squares, leaving the remaining 6 slices whole.
- Press the whole slices of bread into the cups of the greased muffin tin, and brush with melted butter. Add 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese to each cup, and top with a quartered piece of bread. Brush the bread with melted butter.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese melted.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of sloppy joe mixture into each cup, and top with another tablespoon of cheddar.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the cups are firm.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.