86% would make again
Mini Caramel Apple Tarts (Tarte Tatin)
featured in Fruit Tarts You Need Now
for 6 tarts
- 3 apples, for one muffin tin's worth of apples, preferably Pink Lady or Braeburn
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- large muffin tin
- Calories 425
- Fat 19g
- Carbs 62g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 37g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- To begin, peel, halve, and core your apples (melon ballers make a good tool for coring halved apples). You’ll need one apple for every two tarts.
- In a medium sauce pan, about 3 quarts (1 liter), slowly heat sugar. You’ll want to stir frequently until it dissolves into a brown syrup. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter into the sugar, stirring frequently. Add a dash of salt and the juice from ½ lemon.
- Lower the heat as low as it will go and add your apple halves. Toss to coat with caramel and let simmer 5–10 minutes until tender, flipping once.
- Cut puff pastry into circles to fit just within the top of your muffin tin.
- Place apple halves curve-side down in a large muffin tin. Pour remaining caramel over each apple half. Top with a circle of puff pastry to fit just inside the muffin tin.
- Bake 14–20 minutes at 450°F (230°C). Invert muffin pan onto baking sheet immediately. Serve with vanilla ice cream.