90% would make again
featured in These Fries Are A Total Game Changer
Inspired by epicurious.com
for 5 servings
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 ½ cups milk (600 mL), of choice
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth (600 mL)
- 2 cups polenta (320 g)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- olive oil, for brushing (if baking)
- 4 cups canola oil (960 mL), if frying
- ½ cup mayonnaise (120 g)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a medium pot over high heat, add the milk and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the polenta and reduce the heat to low, whisking continuously for about 5 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the polenta is creamy.
- Add the butter, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, and rosemary and stir until well-combined.
- Transfer the polenta to the prepared baking sheet and spread out evenly with a spatula. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days to set.
- If baking, preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- Make the aioli: Combine the mayonnaise, garlic, parsley, and lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix until well-combined. Chill until ready to use.
- Carefully flip the baking sheet onto a cutting board to release the polenta. Slice in half lengthwise, and then cut into 22 equal-sized fries, each about 4 inches (10 cm) long and 1 inch (2 ½ cm) wide.
- If baking, use a spatula to transfer the fries onto wire racks set over 2 baking sheets. Brush each fry generously with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through and brushing with more oil, until golden brown.
- If frying, heat the canola oil in a large pot until it reaches 375ºF (190ºC). Using a large spider, submerge 2 fries at a time into the oil and fry for 2-4 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oil and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve the fries with aioli.