Pumpkin Ginger Soup
This dairy-free pumpkin ginger soup is the perfect warming dish to welcome in fall! The slight bite from the jalapeño and Sriracha perfectly balances out the sweetness from the pumpkin. Whip it up this weekend for a cozy day in!
for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 28 oz canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock (600 mL)
- 13.5 oz canned full-fat coconut milk, room temperature
- 1 lime, juiced
- ⅓ cup toasted pepitas (40 g)
Cilantro Coconut Cream
- 13.5 oz canned coconut cream, chilled
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (40 g), packed, plus more for garnish
- Calories 684
- Fat 57g
- Carbs 44g
- Fiber 35g
- Sugar 63g
- Protein 11g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook for 10–15 minutes, until the onions are translucent and softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeño. Sauté for 3–5 minutes, until fragrant and softened.
- Add the Sriracha, pumpkin purée, and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the soup for 15–20 minutes, until all of the vegetables are completely broken down.
- While the soup simmers, make the cilantro coconut cream: Add the chilled coconut cream to a liquid measuring cup or tall, narrow container, along with the lime zest and cilantro. Using an immersion blender, blend until the cilantro is completely broken down and the coconut cream turns pale green in color. Chill the cilantro cream in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Remove the soup from heat and stir in the coconut milk. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until completely smooth. Season with the remaining teaspoon of salt. Stir in the lime juice. Season to taste with more salt, if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with 1 tablespoon of cilantro cream and toasted pepitas.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.