Red Velvet Churros
Take your love for red velvet to the next level with these crispy and delicious red velvet churros that are perfect for a special occasion. The sweet cream cheese filling makes these irresistible.
for 12 churros
- 2 cups water (480 mL)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 g)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 1 cup red velvet cake mix (125 g)
- 2 eggs
- canola oil, for frying
- ½ cup sugar (100 g)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese (225 g), softened
- ½ cup confectioners sugar (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Calories 286
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 36g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 21g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a pot over medium-high heat, bring water, sugar, and butter to a boil.
- Add in the flour and the cake mix and stir vigorously until mixture has no streaks.
- Remove from heat and add the eggs, stirring until the dough becomes a ball. Transfer dough to a piping bag with a size 9 star tip.
- Pipe 3 to 4 inches (7-10cm) strips of the dough on a baking sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Fry the red velvet churros for about three to four minutes.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Using a straw, poke a hole through the centers of the churros to hollow out a cavity for the filling.
- On a plate, combine the cinnamon and the sugar and mix until it is a uniform color.
- Roll the hollowed out churros in the cinnamon sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Transfer filling into a piping bag with a round tip.
- Pipe the filling into the churros and serve.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.