Transport yourself to the beach with this sweet and chewy candy! Flavored with extracts like vanilla, lemon, and peppermint, this homemade taffy is perfect for sharing or giving as a gift.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 35 pieces
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup light corn syrup (145 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon flavored extract, of your choice
- 2 drops food coloring, coloring of your choice
- Calories 28
- Fat 0g
- Carbs 6g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 0g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the sugar to a large pot fitted with a candy thermometer. Sift in the cornstarch and whisk into the sugar until well-combined. Add the butter, corn syrup, salt, water, vanilla, and flavor extract of choice to the pot. Whisk to combine, then turn the heat to medium and cook until the mixture reaches 250°F (120°C).
- Add the food coloring and stir to combine.
- Pour the candy into a greased heatproof dish and cool until you are able to handle it, 5-10 minutes.
- Stretch the mixture out 12 inches (30 cm) (or further) and fold it over itself again and again for 10-15 minutes. The taffy will turn from translucent to opaque.
- When the taffy becomes harder to pull, roll it to about a 30-inch (76-cm) long and 1-inch (2-cm) thick log on a greased surface. Cut the log in half. Then slice the taffy into bite-size chunks.
- Wrap each piece of taffy in a square of parchment paper and twist the ends to seal.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.