Unicorn Cream Puffs
Add a touch of magic to your dessert table with these enchanting Unicorn Cream Puffs! These whimsical treats are filled with a dreamy, colorful cream that will leave everyone spellbound.
for 10 servings
- 2 cups heavy cream (480 mL)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 g)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (30 g)
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 drops pink food coloring
- 3 drops teal food coloring
- 3 drops purple food coloring
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour (125 g)
- 3 eggs
White Chocolate Shell
- 2 cups white chocolate chip (350 g)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- sprinkles, as desired
- Calories 538
- Fat 43g
- Carbs 37g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a pot over low heat, combine egg yolks, heavy cream, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps. Allow the mixture to thicken, stirring until smooth.
- Transfer the custard into three small bowls. Drop different colors of dye in each bowl and mix.
- Cover the tops of each bowl with plastic wrap and press down onto the surface of the custard to prevent skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator.
- In a pot, combine the water, salt, and butter, bringing it to a boil. Add the flour and stir until the dough comes together in a ball. Remove from heat.
- Add in the eggs, one a time, stirring until the dough becomes a paste. Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Transfer the dough into a piping bag with a large round tip.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, pipe 1-inch ( 2 ½ cm) mounds. (To form a more rounded shape, dab your finger with a little water and press down on the mound to eliminate the peak.)
- Bake for 20 minutes until the pastry has risen considerably and the insides are dry.
- Allow the pastries to cool. Then, using the tip of a knife, cut a small “x” into the bottom of each pastry and transfer (“x” side up) to a cooling rack. This will allow any excess steam or moisture to escape, ensuring your pastries maintain their shape.
- Transfer the custard to a piping back alternating the colors in order for the custard to swirl inside the pastry.
- Fill each pastry with custard.
- In a bowl, melt the white chocolate chips and vanilla, and swirl teal, pink, and purple dye in order to create a purple marble shell.
- Dip the top of each cream puff in the chocolate and garnish with sprinkles of your choice.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.