88% would make again
Summer Chicken Marbella
featured in Healthy Dinners With Couscous
Keep summer going with this flavorful spin on a classic recipe! Plums, apricots, and green olives give this meal a beautiful color and terrific flavor. Simply mix everything up in a baking dish and pop it in the oven until your home is filled with the aromas of summer.
August 30, 2019
for 6 servings
- 1 ½ lb bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (680 g)
- 1 ½ lb bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks (680 g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 head garlic, peeled and pureed or grated
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- 3 red plums, pitted and quartered
- ¾ cup dried apricot (145 g)
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar (80 mL)
- ⅓ cup olive oil (80 mL)
- 1 cup green olives (180 g), such as Castelvetrano
- ½ cup capers in brine (90 g)
- 3 dried bay leaves
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar (145 g)
- ⅓ cup dry rosé wine (80 mL)
- 6 cups couscous (1 ¼ kg), cooked, for serving
- ⅓ cup fresh basil (15 g), thinly sliced
- Calories 1166
- Fat 27g
- Carbs 173g
- Fiber 12g
- Sugar 32g
- Protein 52g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Season the chicken thighs and drumsticks all over with the salt. Using your hands, rub the pureed garlic and 1 tablespoon of oregano all over the chicken to coat evenly.
- In a 9x13-inch glass baking dish, mix together the plums, apricots, red wine vinegar, olive oil, green olives, capers, remaining 2 tablespoons of oregano, and bay leaves.
- Add the chicken to the baking dish and turn to coat, then turn so the skin side is facing up. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator overnight, about 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- While the oven preheats, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Using a paper towel, pat the chicken skin to remove any excess moisture.
- Sprinkle the chicken skin with the brown sugar. Pour the rosé around the chicken, but avoid pouring directly onto the skin.
- Bake the chicken for 35–40 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into a chicken thigh, near the bone, reads 160˚F (70°C) and the skin is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. During this time, the residual heat from cooking will bring the internal temperature of the chicken to 165˚F (75°C).
- Serve the chicken and sauce over couscous and garnish with the basil.