Thanksgiving Leftover Sweet Potato Waffles
Whip up these scrumptious Thanksgiving Leftover Sweet Potato Waffles and transform your holiday leftovers into a delightful breakfast treat. With a crispy exterior and fluffy interior, these waffles are the perfect way to start your day after the big feast.
for 5 waffles
- 2 cups whole wheat (250 g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk (240 mL)
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- ¼ cup maple syrup (60 mL)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups mashed sweet potato (360 g)
- oil, of choice, for greasing
- 1 cup cranberry sauce (275 g)
- ¼ cup orange juice (60 mL)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 pink lady apple
- ¼ cup water (60 mL)
- ½ cup raw pecans (75 g), roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- Calories 626
- Fat 23g
- Carbs 92g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 39g
- Protein 16g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the waffles: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, olive oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and sweet potato until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined, making sure not to overmix the batter.
- Heat a waffle iron and grease with oil.
- Scoop enough batter to fill your waffle iron into the center. Close the iron and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the waffle is golden brown and cooked all the way through. Remove the waffle and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Make the cranberry syrup: Add the cranberry sauce and orange juice to a blender and blend until smooth. The syrup should be thin enough to drizzle, but not liquidy. Add more orange juice as needed to reach the right consistency. Set aside.
- Make the pecan topping: In a small saucepan, combine the apple, pecans, maple syrup, and water. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup starts to glaze the pecans and the apples soften, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the waffles warm with the pecan topping, cranberry syrup, and a few pieces of goat cheese, if desired.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.