92% would make again
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese And Tomato Soup Bowl
featured in 6 Soup Recipes
June 10, 2019
for 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 oz crushed tomato (395 g), 1 can
- 2 cups chicken broth (480 mL)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (60 mL)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Grilled Cheese Bowl
- 11 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for greasing bowl
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 7 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Calories 424
- Fat 33g
- Carbs 27g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 11g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the tomato soup: melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir for 6-8 minutes, until the onions just start to brown.
- Add the garlic and stir for another minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, heavy cream, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and transfer to a blender. Remove vent so that steam can escape. Blend for 2 minutes, until the soup is smooth and thick. Alternatively, leave the soup in the pot and use an immersion blender.
- Make the grilled cheese bowl: cut the crusts off the bread and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the bread slices into 3 lines: a line of 5, a line of 4, and a line of 2.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and garlic and use a brush to spread the mixture over each piece of bread.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Brush the bottom of each slice in egg wash and then dab the bottom of each piece of bread in the line of 5 and the line of 4. Dab all four sides of the bread in the group of 2. Overlap the edges of the 5 pieces of bread, then press the edges together to adhere. Repeat with the line of 4.
- In a greased medium oven-safe bowl, place one of the single slices of bread. Then, take the line of 5 slices and make it into a circle on the inside of the bowl. Press down the edges to adhere to the piece of bread at the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover the bread with 6 slices of cheese. Lay the remaining single slice of bread over the cheese, then make a circle with the line of 4 slices of bread, pressing to seal the edges and adhere to the bread below. Lay the remaining slice of cheese on the bottom.
- Using a small bowl, press down on the bread bowl to compress slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the bread is golden brown.
- Make the crouton fries: Add the olive oil, oregano, pepper, and salt to the bowl with the crusts. Toss until thoroughly coated. Transfer the crusts to a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes, until the crusts are golden brown.
- Remove the bowl and crouton fries from oven. Use tongs to move the bread bowl from the bowl to a serving dish. Fill with tomato soup.