Animal Doughnuts By Alexander Roberts
Get ready to go wild with these animal doughnuts, a playful and delicious treat that will bring out your inner child. These fluffy and sweet doughnuts are a perfect addition to any dessert table or brunch spread.
May 04, 2023
88% would make again
for 12 servings
- 2 qt peanut oil (1.8 L), or vegetable oil
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour (560 g), plus more for dusting
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar (250 g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar (480 g), sifted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup milk (60 mL)
- food coloring, of your choice, optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with flour.
- Add the flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Rub the butter cubes into the dry mixture until well-incorporated and no large chunks remain.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and fold together gently with a spatula until no flour streaks remain.
- Flour a clean surface and dump the dough from the bowl. Sprinkle a generous amount of flour on top of the dough and shape into a disc.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, sprinkle with more flour, and roll out to ½ inch (1-cm) thick.
- Flour a 3½-inch (9-cm) round cookie cutter and cut rounds from the dough, then cut out the centers using a ½-inch (1-cm) cookie cutter.
- Place the cut doughnuts on the prepared baking sheet. Reroll the leftover dough, keeping the cut-out centers, to make more doughnuts.
- Make the animal shapes: For cat doughnuts, cut a small triangle out of the top of a doughnut. For dog doughnuts, use the small cookie cutter to cut 2 half circles out of the bottom of the doughnut and press the cut edges to round. For the bear and frog doughnuts, use a wet finger to press 2 divots at the top of a doughnut, then attach 2 cut-out centers for ears. Flip the doughnuts over so the side with the centers is against the baking sheet.
- Working in batches, lower the doughnuts carefully into the hot oil. Fry for about 1 minute, then flip and fry for another minute, until golden brown all over. Remove the doughnuts from the oil using tongs or a spider. Cool on a wire rack for 2-3 minutes.
- To make the glaze, add the powdered sugar, honey, and ¼ cup (60 ml) of milk to a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Add food coloring of your choice, if desired.
- Dip the doughnuts in the glaze. Return to the wire rack and let dry.
- Decorate, if desired. Use melted chocolate and leftover glaze to pipe faces onto the different animal doughnuts.
- Nutrition Calories: 1723 Fat: 148 grams Carbs: 97 grams Fiber: 1 grams Sugars: 60 grams Protein: 6 grams
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.