98% would make again
Aunt Vivian’s Sweet Potato Pie
featured in Thanksgiving Pies Around The US
for 8 servings
- 3 lb large sweet potato (1.3 g), 4 potatoes
- 1 cup unsalted butter (225 g), 2 sticks, melted
- 2 ½ cups sugar (500 g)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- ¼ cup buttermilk (60 mL)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 pies frozen prepared pie crust, unbaked
- Calories 844
- Fat 44g
- Carbs 103g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 48g
- Protein 11g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until fork-tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain and let cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 365˚F (185˚C).
- Peel the sweet potatoes, then transfer to a large bowl and mash thoroughly with an electric hand mixer or fork.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Beat to combine, then scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating to incorporate each addition. Add the self-rising flour, buttermilk, vanilla, and lemon extract, and beat to combine.
- Divide the sweet potato filling between the frozen pie crusts and smooth the tops.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until pies are set in the center. Cover the crusts with foil if it is getting too dark before the pies finish baking.
- Cool the pies for 2 hours on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve.