for 1 serving
- 1 can unsalted chickpeas, drained and skins removed (15 ounce - 425 grams)
- 2 ½ cups hot water (600 mL)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided, plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons unrefined coconut oil
- ½ cup almond meal (75 g)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar (55 g)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cup vegan dark chocolate (115 g)
- In a large bowl, mix together the skinned chickpeas, hot water, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Soak for 10–20 minutes to help remove some of the canned chickpea flavor. Drain and rinse the chickpeas in cold water to cool.
- Add the drained chickpeas, remaining teaspoon of lemon juice, and the coconut oil to a food processor. Blend until completely smooth. Add the almond meal, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Blend until completely smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Transfer the ‘dough’ to a medium bowl and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl and transfer to the refrigerator to cool for 1 hour (or freeze for 30 minutes), until stiffened to the consistency of cookie dough. The dough will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Have a recipe of your own to share?